Girls Rock Dallas is currently looking for additional individuals to join our Board of Directors. If you are interested, please fill out the application.
To advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of Girls Rock Dallas so as to support the organization’s mission and needs.
Girls Rock Dallas is a non-profit organization dedicated to empowering girls and women through the use of music education to promote self-esteem and confidence by providing the opportunity to learn and express their musical creativity.
The Board will support the work of Girls Rock Dallas and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Girls Rock Dallas’ Executive Director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities* include:
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED as she develops and implements Girls Rock Dallas’ strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Girls Rock Dallas for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving Girls Rock Dallas’ annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED
- Assisting the ED and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the ED and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Ensuring Girls Rock Dallas’ commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Girls Rock Dallas serves
*Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of Girls Rock Dallas. Each member is expected to make recommendations based on his or her experience and vantage point in the community.
Expectations of board members:
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and special events as able.
- Participate on a standing committee of the board, and serve on ad-hoc committees as necessary.
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by Girls Rock Dallas mission, objectives, and programs.
- Help communicate and promote Girls Rock Dallas’ mission and programs to the community.
- Become familiar with Girls Rock Dallas’ finances, budget, and financial/resource needs.
- Understand the policies and procedures of Girls Rock Dallas.
- Financially support Girls Rock Dallas in a manner commensurate with one’s ability
Three years, which may be renewed pending approval of the board.
Meetings and Time Commitment:
The board of directors meets an average of six times per year. Meetings typically last 60-90 minutes. Board members are asked to attend no more than two special events or meetings per year, as they are determined.
Service on Girls Rock Dallas’ Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.